Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Suggestions?

In accordance to our tradition of celebrating Valentine's day we are planning on making a "fancy" meal. Usually we go through our Food and Wine magazines that I had gotten one year. We are coming up very close to Valentine's day and Matt and I have not come up with a menu yet, in fact we have not really even discussed options for the meal.

So I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for an "elaborate", "special occasion" recipe that we could consider. Usually we have a main course, two sides, maybe a bread, and a dessert.

So if you have a recipe that you have always wanted to try but it is too labor or skill intensive, or if you have a recipe that you love to make but you don't because it just takes too much time and energy...that is the kind of thing we are looking for.

What do you think? Can you help?

7 comments:

Amy said...

Is Grace invited? or do you need a babysitter?

Anonymous said...

I suggest a Cherry Cheese pie for dessert. I made a double recipe for Glen's birthday, (the small group was to come over tonight) but seeing the snow is coming down I'm sure no one will come. So we have a 9x13, wish you were here to help us get rid of it. Mamaw Betty

Unknown said...

What about Cornish game hens? They’re nice for two. Here’s a recipe I have used in the past. (Read the reviews for some helpful tips.) The cauliflower gratin I raved about in one of my blog posts would be a nice accompaniment. Add a green salad, some bread, and strawberries with chocolate fondue for dessert. Or something like that.

Jenn Heatwole said...

I certainly can't top Stephanie, but I think you should look into Duck recipes. I think Duck is a wonderful meat, that certainly doesn't get used enough :)

Anonymous said...

Forgive my being a drag, but since you both are now parents you should probably get used to going to Grace's favorite eating establishment Le Mc Donalds' and eating her favorite Le Happy Meal. Main course, check. two sides, well one and a treat. Desert is extra. But the ambiance, and the .....

Pay back, Matt, is a.....bear. Hope someone comes up with a better alternative than mine, er Grace's.

Happy Day for the three of you.

Steve

Anonymous said...

No matter what the menu for this meal is, Grace will enjoy it 12 hours later in a liquid form. Just make something that will agree with her.
I think it is so nice you two enjoy cooking and making your own special meal. Also, I think they are better and cheaper than in a resturant. Just enjoy! Mamaw Betty

suedaniels said...

Have you looked at Beef Bourgignon? I believe there's a recipe in your Joy of Cooking. Now there's a recipe that qualifies as just too much trouble.

Delicious, though. Very rewarding.