Saturday, October 18, 2008

It Takes A Village

It all began with a soccer tournament. Carol's boys were playing in a soccer game in Roanoke last weekend so she asked if they could stay at our house. Of course we said yes. Then Mom and Dad wanted to come down, so we suggested the same weekend as Carol. Then we decided to buy a shed for our back yard. Mike and Amy were interested in helping to build it. So once again we had a family vacation at our house for the weekend. We went from 2 people in our house to 11! And it was great fun. Well I guess it was great fun because on Saturday I was gone from 6:00am to 6:00pm for class. But when I came home I found.....


Some monkeys on top of the roof of our brand new shed (which was just a huge block in the garage when I left). Though it looks like Mike and Matt were having fun.


By Sunday afternoon we had all of the shed done (except for shingles and some fancy work around the door). So we all posed in front of it because as I said it takes a village. It took cooks (mom and Amy), cleaners (Carol), supervisors (Dad), entertainers (Adam, Austin, Shannon), Gofers (Eamon), and hard laborers (Matt, Mike, and me...for a bit). Amy is standing in front of our newly plowed up garden which was the chore mom and Amy accomplished on Saturday. Thanks! I look forward to using it in the spring.

Since this picture was taken Matt and I put on all of the shingles. We also have painted most of it to match our house. That is not done. I am sure that there will be a picture of it when it is complete.

Thanks to all who helped last weekend. We could not have done it without you.

3 comments:

suedaniels said...

I could have sworn Matt said "Shed." I didn't realize it was a new wing! It looks great, guys. I can't wait to see it finished and painted. Your family is great too, Lana. You announce a barn raising, and they are there! Oh, and when are you guys getting a horse?

love,
sue

Amy said...

We had such a great weekend. The boys were very disappointed to come home. They love spending time with you and Matt! In fact, Adam had an intesting idea this morning. He saw a car at church that looked like yours (but was a toyota) and said "Matt and Lana are here!!" I said, "No they are at their house." He continued, "I know!!" (that is when we all hold our breath to see what comes next) "Matt and Lana can live with Mamaw and Papaw!!" :) He comes up with some good ones, however, I think you may need a bit more space with this idea!

Betty said...

You forgot to mention that Amy and I tore up black landscaping fabric from the garden. When we finally finished Matt asked us to do a very similar job of pulling up more landscaping fabric from the back of the yard. Amy and I began to question if we really loved Matt THAT much!