Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day

Hi All,
I have once again taken over my wife's Blog. Mwahahahah!

Life has been good to me ever since I met this fabulous woman. This year, with so many wonderful things come to us, I was eligible for a father's day celebration! It was my first, and very fun.

Sunday morning started out like most lazy Sunday mornings. We were scheduled to bring a breakfast for our Sunday school class, so we didn't take too much time for breakfast. Lana brought me dessert from the previous night - cherry turnovers! In Bed!

Sunday school was not very memorable - apparently this was a low attendance Sunday for some reason. But enjoyable. Everyone liked the pumpkin bread (who hasn't?).

When we got back home, we had leftovers for lunch. Of course, leftovers in this house are usually very memorable. The night before, I was feeling my oats, and made a huge batch of homemade fried chicken nuggets - Alton Brown style. I'll give anyone my recipe if they want 'em - just be warned, it is not for the non-food lovers. On the side, we had mom's "Whipped to oblivion Mashed 'taters". Always a crowd pleaser.

Well, I heated up the leftover chicken, and Lana made her father's "Leftover 'tater cakes". Sitting down to eat, I found my first set of father's day cards. One from Mom 'n Dad - edited with the "Soon-to-be" part. And one from Lana. Thank you! I felt special.

The afternoon was spent doing a couple of odd chores. Mostly fun chores. We washed the cars, waxed part of one of them, and fiddled around in the garden.

During all of that, Lana instructed me to come up with a Father's Day dinner. Believe it or not, I wanted Hamburger Helper. Lana thought I was nuts. With all the wonderful things that she can make, I wanted a box dinner? I twisted her arm, and kissed her ear, and she gave in. But of course, I added my own flair to dinner. With a little spicy italian sausage and a very careful addition of cheese - we had some amazing italian not-quite-lasagna for dinner. Served on the side was Hush-puppies, and "Betty's Patented Green Beans & Ham."

After dinner, I was given my Father's Day Gift. Lana got me the final book in a series that I've been reading since "Ye Olde College Days". Very cool. She even included a Lana Authentic inscription on the title page...

...that leads to a story. A short one, so hang in there. We were wandering through a bookstore once when I found the Sci-Fi and Fantasy section. (Which reminds me, why do they mix them all the time?) Anyway, I found dozens of books that we had, and dozens more that I want. I had mentioned to Lana that since the only chance I really get to read is while I'm on the can, it'd be nice to read some of these book aloud to our kid (while I'm not on the can). Well, the inscription she gave me was "May this be one of the first books you share with our little one". I plan to make it so. Although, it will be hard to wait for them to arrive.

The evening from then on is a secret. :) I'm not telling.

Y'all have a good night.
-Matt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you and Lana ever looked at how much time the topic of food is talked about? Camping, Father's Day, et al. Dang, you made me hungry.

Lana said...

It's all about the food!
-M