Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Musicals with Hanna

I am one who loves musicals of almost all kinds. In fact the first CD I ever owned was Cats, the second was Phantom of the Opera. I have music from Chicago and Into the Woods on my running iPod. I love musicals (and I am happy to say that so does my husband :)

So needless to say, when I find a musical that I know of and have desired to see I try to get tickets. I lucked out recently when I was randomly looking on the internet I found out that Wolf Trap (a performance center near DC) was playing Les Miserables. I did not know much of this play other than it is one of Matt's favorites. So after discussing it a bit, we got tickets.




Fast forward a few weeks and Matt and I were driving on 81 and 66 with Tropical Storm Hanna pounding the car. We made it to Wolf Trap in good time and got drenched walking from the parking lot to our seat (even with an umbrella). The seats were wonderful, not so close that you could see the actors make-up, but close enough that we could see details on costumes and hear actors if their mic was not working at the time (thanks Hanna). The seats were also on the right side of the stage which was a great blessing. Let me explain: This arena has a stage, and a roof and partial walls on the right and the left side. During the show there was constant rain and mist drenching the left side of the audience.

The show its self was WONDERFUL! Even with the stage hands coming on to the stage with blue towels to wipe up the many puddles that were on the stage. It was beyond words. It caused shivers down my spine, and brought us to tears. If you have a chance I can only say...you should go.

I look forward to our next musical adventure, whatever it might be. I just hope that Hanna will decide not to attend this time.

2 comments:

Davene said...

Les Mis has got to be one of my all-time favorite musicals: that, and Fiddler on the Roof (because of the Jewish tie-in) definitely are at the top of my list!

Les Mis, in particular, has such a profound theme of grace and redemption in it. It's powerful!

I'm so glad you got to see it and were so fortunate as to be on the right side! :)

Amy said...

Funny how I spent time with you the next day, but did not hear half of what you posted!! Good thing I read your blog. So glad you had a good time!

Isn't Davene funny thinking I'll start one of these things!?!