Friday, September 19, 2008

Chess

Matt and I went to the Belmont yard sale in Harrisonburg one of the first weekends of September. It was rainy that day so there was not much to look at since not many families braved the rain. But we did manage to find a glass chess set that we willingly shelled out $5.00 for (it was brand new, the tape on the box had never even been removed).

Now, I know how all of the chess pieces move. But I have only played one or two games. And during those two games I lost so badly that I did not even know what was happening. So, when Matt decided one night this past week that we should play chess I proceeded hesitantly. He began by reviewing all of the movements of the pieces. Then we got into the game. We talked through the first few games with comments of "why did you do that?" "did you really mean to move that there?" etc. That really helped me understand the game.

By about the fourth game I was ruining some of his plans! (yes, I am happy about that) And the last game that we played I actually got him in checkmate!!!!! Yes, I got a bit of help from him, but I still had my very first checkmate of my life (maybe my only one...) so I am going to enjoy it.

I am learning that chess is a lot of fun if you have a good teacher and a fun person to play against.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Sounds like fun! Chess is a game I have never been able to figure out. Maybe one day :)