Friday, September 5, 2008

Dance Class

Thursday was supposed to be our first Ballroom Dance class that we were going to have through the Roanoke Parks and Recreation Center. We were so excited about going. Matt and I both love to dance but have not had any real way of fitting or finding the dance scene in Roanoke (at least the kind of dance that we like...swing, contra, salsa...)

Matt came home from work at the usual time and we rushed around to get ready and be at class by 6:30. I had never been to this location so I did not know what to expect but I figured "I have googled the address and got a map, what could go wrong..." That should have been my first warning sign.

We got to the area that the google map said was the location of the dance class at 6:30 exactly. The location looked kind of like the standard set of any movie about a haunted mansion. It was a very old, very large building that needed a lot of care taken to it. But it had the right sign in the front so we decided to take a chance on it. We drove in the drive way only to find no other cars! We decided to keep going (now that I think of it, this is staring to sound like a script for a haunted mansion movie too). All of the doors were locked. We tried calling all of the numbers that we had that were in relation to Parks and Recreation but it was after hours and we got answering machines. I was starting to get very upset at this moment, mainly because I could not figure out what went wrong.

Finally I found an address for the headquarters for Parks and Recreation. We quickly drove there in hopes to find someone and some answers. We drove in the parking lot just as two people were about to leave. We caught both of them and found out that they were staff members who were at work late. We told them of our troubles and had to reassure them over and over that: Yes we were signed up for the class and Yes the class did start today.

They did some asking around and found out that the class was postponed till next week. And that I was supposed to have gotten a call (I didn't). But at least we did not miss anything. In addition we met a very nice lady Marion (she was one of the Parks and Recreation staff) who not only invited us out to a meal with her husband also invited us to visit her church. She was a blessing to meet while I was so frazzled because I could not figure out where we were supposed to be.

Can't wait for next week to actually be able to go to the class.

2 comments:

Amy said...

What fun!! Can't wait to hear how the classes go!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.