Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Question

The last entry told about our first date (which happened on Oct. 30). Now I am going to skip a few months and tell of another milestone in our relationship.


On March 28th Matt and I decided to celebrate our 5 month anniversary. To celebrate it was decided that we would go back to the Bistro On Main where we first met. When getting ready I noticed that he decided to forgo his usual Polo shirt and brown pants for nice slacks, a button up shirt, and a tie. That is when I began to wonder what might happen that night.

We arrived at the restaurant and were seated at a very small table right beside the door. We ordered and began to enjoy the wonderful food, conversation and company. During this time, I noticed Matt was a bit nervous or distracted but I decided not to draw attention to it. Finally after the meal was over and we were lost in conversation we began to talk about how wonderful the past five months have been. At which Matt quickly replied...
"Yes, and I would like to ask for an extension."
"An extension? You know that I will be with you always...unless something really bad happens."
"I meant this kind of extension." As he pulls out the ring and drops to one knee beside the table. "Will you marry me?"
At this moment I believe that I squealed, grabbed him, and kissed him. Maybe all at once. Oh, and I said "YES" many, many times.

Then he asked me if I liked the ring as he put it on my finger. I told him that I loved the ring, and it was perfect. Then he proceeded to tell me why he liked the ring and went into this explanation of the chemical make up of the ring. That is an engineer for you.

By this time the rest of the restaurant had kind of figured out that something was happening at our table. Silence covered the restaurant (except for me) then everyone burst out clapping when they realized what was going on. Our waitress came back to our table about three minutes later asking "Are you the couple that just got engaged?" We responded that we were, and she came back with two glasses of champagne to celebrate. The rest of the evening we were flooded with well wishes and stories as each of the guests left the restaurant (we were at the front door).

The ride home was a flurry of phone calls to our family members. I do not think that I stopped smiling for about two days.

14 weeks later we were married!

3 comments:

david santos said...

Excellent posting!!!
Have a nice day.

Amy said...

I love that story!

suedaniels said...

I love it, too. It sounds like something out of a movie . . . wait . . . it IS out of a movie. The same scene happened in "Moonstruck"!

But those two characters were not in love, and you two definitely are.

love,
mom