Sunday, April 4, 2010

Study

While driving to Richmond, or maybe home from Richmond...I do not know...Matt and I had a wonderful talk. It started when we were talking about churches. I do not know how or why we got on that topic (who knows how topics start when you have conversations like this) but we did. Matt mentioned that the "perfect" Sunday School would be where the first half of the Sunday School would be where the scripture for the church service would be read, discussed, compared to the sermon title, analyzed, and guessed upon what the pastor was going to talk about that morning (much like what Glendon Blosser did for our Sunday School class at Weavers). Then the second half of the class would be to read and analyze another part of the Bible. Piece by piece so that in the end the whole Bible would have been read and (mostly) understood...I believe there are parts of the Bible that I will NEVER understand!

So we were talking about this and mentioning how neither of our churches have this exact Sunday School (yes, we attend two churches depending on what part of the month it is and what town we are in) and would not have this Sunday School unless we make it. Then it came to me, why can't we have that, just not on Sunday mornings? I suggested to him that we do his idea (well the second half of it at least) together in the evening. We would have a little Bible study of our own where we read, analyze and discuss a chapter of the Bible. I suggested that we start with 1 Samuel which is one of my favorite books.

Friday we had our first session. We read 1 Samuel chapter 1. First we talked about the story in general and our first thoughts about it. Then we went through the questions that his Bible asks for each chapter (it asks 3 questions: Open, Dig, and Reflect in which each of the questions get deeper and more personal). Our first short session ended up being about an hour and a half of talking about the story and our relating to it. I talked about how Samuel reminds me of Sampson, Matt talked about how Sampson reminded him of Hammurabi, then we ended up talking about personal stories.

I think that if we keep this up we will learn a lot about the Bible, history, and each other. We were very happy and also excited about our first study, I think that this is going to continue and I am so glad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea! You might not be able to keep it on schedule but when ever you can make time. Betty

suedaniels said...

Wow! I'm impressed! [I didn't even realize that Matt knew who Hammurabi was! tee-hee!!!]
No, really, good job, guys. Especially if it brings you closer to each other.

Happy Easter to you, too!

love,
sue