Wednesday, April 7, 2010

New Bed

It has been strongly suggested that I start adding more pictures of Grace onto my blog. So before I start, here is a picture of Grace today.


Now for the blog...
When Matt was on his own he needed a bed. He somehow acquired a beautiful bird's eye pine waterbed frame. It was beautiful, it was decorative, it was a wonderful set, but it was also a bed that you had to pole vault into and usually in the action of jumping (or in my case pole vaulting) into it you usually got multiple bruises on the lower half of your body.

When we moved into the house that we are in now, we somehow decided (I am not sure why) to make the smallest bedroom in our house the guest bedroom. And you got it...the large, tall, behemoth of a bed the guest bed. So when you walk into the guest bedroom you have a small vanity, and a small dresser, and a HUGE bed and not much room for anything else.

After moving the bed this last time to this house we started thinking that we needed to get rid of it, or do something with it. Two years later....

Matt and I decided to go on a evening out and we ended up at one of our favorite places, Goodwill! While looking around for treasures we found a Hollywood Frame for a queen size bed, this is the start to something very good! We took it home and decided that we were going to tear apart the frame of the bed (keeping the beautiful headboard, I am not quite sure for what yet). Use the very nice table saw that we have acquired
Make a lot of saw dust as you can see. We cut all of the side pieces of the bed frame into long strips which would eventually turn into the braces for the bed.
The we started to make some lap joints for the bed. My dad came over for the night and he decided that it might be fun to work on this project. He began to work on it around 6:30pm and Matt joined him soon after. Together they worked until 10:00 pm and carried it up to the room, put on the mattress, I put sheets on and dad slept in the bed that he made that night.It fits so much better in the room, there is actually some room to move around in. The height is about as tall as a normal chair (very lovely to sit on). The bed finally also match the other furniture in the room since the new headboard is part of the set that the dresser and the vanity belong to. I am so happy with this change, but what makes me happier is that we reused something to turn it into something that we needed. It was a good bed frame and it still is a good bed frame, in a different form.

Steve and Sue (and all of our guests for that matter), I think that you will like this bed a lot better!

4 comments:

suedaniels said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Love,
sue

Amy said...

I love the picture of Grace!! I think Dad really enjoys telling people that he actually had to make his own bed to sleep in! That was quite the bed that was in that room. I agree this one fits better!

Jenn Heatwole said...

aww...I kind of have found memories of that old bed. I remember the day I came down to Roanoke to take one of my tests. The test ended up getting cancelled and I ended up taking a WONDERFUL nap in that bed. It was the best nap I've had in a long time, mainly because I was SOOOO tired.

suedaniels said...

How about a picture of the completed bed? Is it still queen size? Can't wait to try it out - because that means we'll be in the same house where Grace lives!

love,
sue