Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Red Plate

Matt got the red plate today!

Steve and Sue, thanks for the red plate set. It has been getting some use...I got it once for school work and Matt got it today :)

To explain...Matt grew up with a special red plate (that was provided by his grandmother) to celebrate special days or achievements that an individual does. So it is used toward anything from a birthday or good grades to not annoying the teacher for the day or finishing a project.
I really liked the idea of the red plate when it was told to me, and I am so glad to have a set now. I can not wait to use it with our children (I realize that will be quite far in the future, but still...)

Matt's reason for getting the red plate: He has been working on a project for Cairo, Egypt for quite awhile (since June 2007). At times it has been very frustrating for him with not knowing exactly what they want or why they are not happy with what he is giving them. After a lot of work, today they responded that they are perfectly happy with what he has provided them, so his part of this project is done. Congratulations Matt!

I hope that the red plate is going to be used many more times in the future.

4 comments:

suedaniels said...

Ah, the Red Plate Tradition! Did he tell you that once we carried it with us to a restaurant to celebrate his birthday? The waiter served his dinner on our red plate. Great fun.

Was that pasta alla carbonara I see on the red plate?

love,
sue

Amy said...

I love this!!! Since you have told me of this idea, I have used it at our house (however our plates are not red--there weren't any that color at the thrift store--we have a clear set and a black set). It is amazing what the kids will do to have their special plate and mug!!

Congrats, Matt!

Lana said...

No, I had not heard that story about the resturant. That is wonderful... :)

And yes, that is pasta alla carbonara on the plate. Very tasty! Thanks for that recipe (I know Matt got it from you), it has been a favorite at our house.

suedaniels said...

Say, guys, is your computer broken? Or are you so busy living life you don't have time to document it?

Yeah, that's it.

Anyway, maybe it's time we got the Red Plate off the front page. How about some more pretty rocks?

Before you tell me to Get a Life, yes, I already know. . .

Our Lenten program this year is about The Emergent Church - very interesting. I have the book by Phyllis Tickle, if you'd like to read through it. It's all about the changes that the larger Church is going through now. It seems to happen about every 500 years, and the last one was the Reformation in the 1500's. So we're due.

Happy living!
love,
sue