Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Upcycle?

Recycle, upcycle, going green, call it what you want.  I call it playing and living with what we have without having to spend too much money.

About two years ago Matt and I got some items passed on to us from his Grandfather.  In those items we found some adult bibs.  As soon as I saw these bibs I had a vision of turning them into child aprons for when I have my kids cook with me.  But it was just an idea I could never figure out how I wanted to alter them to make them work.  

One day I was talking to a friend about a saying that I wanted to embroider on a shirt for Grace and Glen, but I had no idea of where to have it done locally.  She quickly told me that she has an embroidery machine and that I could use it any time that I want to.  Since this project was in the works much longer than the shirt I decided to work on an apron for Grace.  I got a very cute picture of pots and pans and I added tie straps around her waist.  She loves it!

 The other day I got a wild idea that it would be fun to have a tub of lids for the kids to play with.  Most everyone that I talked to thought I was crazy for giving my children lids to play with, but I thought it would be fun and creative.  So my family started collecting lids and at this moment we have 10, I am hoping to have more soon.

 The kids pulled them out of the container, put them back in, pulled them out, repeat and over and over.  Glen banged them together and stacked them up.  Grace sorted them by metal vs. plastic, color, and also by what was largest and also what was smallest.  This morning Grace begged to play with lids again.  It was nice to see her play and enjoy such a simple toy.



While Grace played with the lids, Glen decided this was a great container to hold his puzzle pieces.

 Driving around town I often look back in the back seat to see this, Grace and Glen holding hands and looking at each other.

Sometimes I even find this, Grace and Glen content to hold hands even if they do not look at each other.

I have a feeling they are starting to be great friends.

No comments: