Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pork Barbecue and a Tomato

Grace is an interesting child.  Since this past summer she has loved tomatoes.  But the way that she loves to eat them is to eat it like an apple.  While grocery shopping today Grace could have begged for anything in the store but what she begged for was a tomato.  So I bought her a tomato.  As soon as we paid for it she asked me, "tomato paid?"  I said, yes we paid for the tomato.  "Eat it" was the following question.  So I let her start eating the tomato even before we left the check out line.  This was what I saw in the rear view mirror while driving home.  It was gone before we drove into the driveway.  If she is going to beg for things, I am glad it is fruits and veggies.


I tried a new recipe today.  It is simple as can be to put together and as soon as Matt walked in his first comment was "man that smells good!"  So I am going to write it here so that I can find it again, and others can try it out if they wish.

Pork Barbecue

3-4 lb pork loin
salt to taste
pepper to taste
2 cups cider vinegar
2 tsp. sugar

(This is where I stop.  I put the above ingredients in a gallon ziplock bag and stick it is a freezer so that I can have it ready for whenever I am ready to cook it.)

Cook in the crockpot on low for 8-10 hours.

Remove pork from cooker and shred meat.
In a separate bowl combine:

1/2 cup ketchup
crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Tabasco sauce to taste

Put shredded pork in the bowl with the ketchup sauce, mix well.  Add additional vinegar juice from crockpot  to make it as moist as you wish.  Add additional sugar to mixture to cut the sour of the vinegar sauce (it will not make the meat sweet, just cut the sour flavor so that it is not as overwhelming).

Serve on buns, and maybe with cole slaw.

Matt gave this one four stars!  And I agree :)

3 comments:

Amy said...

Grace cracks me up!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.