Sunday, February 5, 2012

My Daughter and The Chore I Hate The Most

I hate to do dishes!

I will do almost any chore before I decide to stand in front of a soapy sink full of dirty dishes.  I do not know where my aversion to this chore came from, but it is there.  Yes, I will do dishes, but I will not like it...and I will try my hardest not to do it often (the dishwasher is my friend).

But in steps my daughter.  She loves to "do dishes" a joy that she learned from my mother.  She pulls a chair up to the sink and plays in the water and soap suds and is happy as a lark for quite a while.  All of this as she is soaking her clothes, the sink (and surrounding area) and the floor.  But that is minor since all of those areas can be cleaned and wiped up easily.

So recently if I walk past the sink, stand near the sink to do something in regards to cooking, or if I run water to wash my hands I start to hear a chair scrape across our tile floor while a little voice is saying in the most pleading tone "dish, dish, dish."  How can I deny her.

So I do dishes...and the kitchen is looking a bit better.

Thank you mom for teaching Grace this (yes there is a bit of sarcasm there).

But thank you Grace for helping me do a chore while I see your joy of doing dishes.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I hate to fold socks! Guess what chore my boys get... And yes there have been times I have pulled socks out of my dresser to go to work, and it has been one adult, and one child sock. But, I don't complain--I didn't have to fold them.

Good job, Grace! Keep helping Mommy!

Anonymous said...

How can it be a chore with Grace helping? You just have to keep ahead of her and wash fast.... Before she steals all your suds. Just wait there is another helper coming along. Mamaw

Amy said...

Another helper coming along...and Mamaw will be sure to train him well. Be prepared!