Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thankful

This morning I woke up thinking how thankful I am for GE.

First of all with everything going on recently in the US, I am very thankful that Matt has a job.

But in addition to that with all of my prenatal and recently my gestational diabetes testing and education classes I am thankful that Matt has something called FWA (flexible work arrangement).  This means that he can go in an hour early or work an hour longer and use an hour during the day for the appointments.

I am also thankful for Matt having so much personal business time.  This is time that is built into his hours that is to be used for doctors appointments or whatever is needed at the time (if he uses an hour then the hour is given back to him in one year, so it is a constant amount that is coming and going, but Matt has been known not to use much of it in the past).

This one is going to sound strange but I am thankful for the turnover in staff in the past few years.  About two years after Matt began working at GE many of our friends/his co-workers left in droves.  That was not fun, but it allowed for a great situation for us.  Let me explain...Those that left were all of the single, or very newly married individuals.  So now most of what is left is all of the family men/women who have wife/husband and kids at home.  When Matt tells them about an appointment that I have, or how we are sick, etc, his boss or whoever he is working on a project with at the time tells him that unless he has a meeting that he HAS to be at, or a project that he HAS to be on site for (which is rare) they tell him to go and take care of family.  They understand little ones, they understand the importance of family.  I have especially heard of this coming from his manager who, as long as he is told ahead of time, does not mind Matt working from home or using FWA.  I have baked this man a cake for my gratitude in all of this.

I am thankful for GE and how understanding they are....

I am not thankful that they are sending him out to Kuwait during my last trimester :(
But we will survive!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kuwait!?!?!

When does this happen?

Steve