Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Oh How A Child Makes You Worry...

Yesterday Grace was playing like usual and before I knew it she took a face plant right into the edge of a chair.  Screaming ensued.  I quickly gathered her up and tried to console her so that I could assess the damage.  I could not see much wrong until I noticed the large amounts of blood coming from her mouth.

Now this is a great fear of mine...any mouth wound.

I got the bleeding down a little, and started to play with her teeth to see if any were wiggly.  None felt looser than the others so I thought her teeth might be ok.  But the bleeding would not stop, it just slowed greatly.  I blotted it, I gave her milk and water to drink (that were very cold), I kept her calm, I could not think of anything else to do so when I exhausted all of my ideas and it was already a half an hour after her nap time, I put her down for nap.

She woke up happy but her bed showed signs that her mouth did not stop bleeding :(  So I started the frantic calling that a mother does when she does not know what else to do.  I called Matt, he did his best but he could not do much from work.  I ran to the neighbors and asked advice.  I called the pediatrician that she goes to and talked to a nurse.  The consensus was that if the tooth was not loose (which it was not) then it was just damage to the gum which would heal quickly (not quick enough for me).  The nurse said that if the bleeding did not stop by the next day that we should go to the dentist.

That night I worried, but I could not do anything.  I fed Grace applesauce and anything else that was soft that would not harm her mouth any more.  We did A LOT of cuddling (I do not know if it was for my benefit or hers).  And she had a normal night.

She woke this morning.  No bleeding.  She ate well and even begged for graham crackers and ate them well.  Her gum does not look the best, but it looks better than yesterday.  Her tooth is still not loose :)  Her tooth is still the same as all the others (so it did not shift or die or anything obvious, at least not yet).  I think that she just hurt her gum, but oh the worries of a mother.

She is happy as can be, and I am slowly recovering.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm sure this will be the first of many worries to come. Welcome to this stage of Motherhood!

Amy said...

It was posted before I could finish...I'm glad Grace (and you)seem to be fine now.