Sunday, November 15, 2009

I have always relied on the kindness of strangers

and recently many "strangers" have been very kind!

Let me start from the beginning, so many people have been so kind to us since we found out that we are expecting. I know that I will not be able to mention everyone, but here is a start.

My friend Sarah had just had a baby in February. She and her husband had decided that it would be their last, so she wanted to no longer have maternity clothes around. In April/May I told her that I was expecting and she gifted me with about four boxes of maternity clothes (almost all of what was her wardrobe).

A family friend Karen had just had a baby a few months ago (a very sweet little girl). And she has been so very kind to think of Matt and I as her little girl grows out of the clothing that she is wearing. Karen has been gifting us some of her old clothing.

A couple from our church just happen to live less than a block down the road from us, so we have gotten to know them a little. Their sons had just gotten new furniture in their bedrooms, so their youngest had to get rid of his old toy shelf, which happened to be a changing table. So at church one day the husband stopped Matt and I to ask if we would like a changing table...well yes, of course! We now have a wonderful changing station upstairs and one downstairs.


Our Sunday School class in general...they threw a baby shower for us. We had been going to this church for less than a year and we are not even members, yet they are so kind to throw this amazing shower for us. Half of the people I have to admit I did not know who they were, but both they and I thought that this would be a good way to get to know eachother.


A household in the neighborhood had been cleaning out their place and Matt and I talked to the people there and were told to take what we wanted. We got a free ottoman for my glider rocker, a wooden step stool for helping a child get to the sink or counters, and a plastic picnic table with attached benches for a child.

The neighbor across the street has a daughter who is turning three this month, she has greatly upgraded her playset in the backyard. Because of this, they offered Matt and I a small plastic slide that she has outgrown.

There are so many others that I can mention, just to name one would be the firemen that installed our carseat. I can not even begin to mention about the kindness of my mother and father-in-law and all they have given us. I will also not begin to mention the kindness of my mother and father and both of my sisters and all of their kindness (this post is already too long to begin to talk about how both families have helped us).

I am constantly amazed and in awe of the generosity of individuals. And whether these people read this blog or not, I just wanted to take this time to say THANK YOU! We have been so blessed and it is all because of those who have chosen to show us such kindness.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Those strangers are angels in disguise! We, in the family, are so very excited to meet this little one. Even the boys are excited. Adam just said this evening that he was a big boy and it was time to give his v-smile to baby Grace.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.