Thursday, September 1, 2011

Grapes and other news

Grape season is upon us.  We got lots of help from my family when we went to Harrisonburg last weekend.  We took a cooler full of grapes and came home with 10 quarts of white grape juice!

Then after that, the next week I made 6 pints of grape jelly and am about to make about 6 more tonight from our concord grapes.  Matt loves the jelly.  I sent him to work with a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, and a pint of jelly.  Not much of any of that returned home :)

We still have more grapes.  I am debating on working them up some more, or just letting the season be and allowing the birds and bugs to have at the fruit.

My favorite thing about grape season has to be what Grace does.  When I am working with the grapes she will hide under the grape arbor and eat all of the low hanging grapes.  When I was cutting bunches of grapes she would run by the cooler, select a bunch for herself, then hide under the arbor and eat every last grape off of the stems.  She loves her grapes!

_________________________________________________________________________________

This morning she was pulling out toys to play with me.  She pulled out this toy


In the past I had to kind of direct her to the correct spot to put all 10 pieces in.  This morning she did it all on her own with no help from me at all (except to get the pieces out).  I was very proud of her.


She has a few new words that I would like to document here.
Real Word   - - -   Grace Speak
I love you -------- I love (or she might just kiss you)
peach ------------ appa (apple...she does not know her fruit yet)
apple------------- appa
She is starting to say more names (at times) such as grandma, grandpa, mamaw, papaw, and others.
She is getting more words every day so I know I am missing many of her new ones.  But these were the ones that I have been hearing the most.

2 comments:

Amy said...

ahem...I think I have heard her say "Amy" And I know she has said one of my boys names and used it interchangeably!

YUM...grape juice! Can't wait to try your jelly!

Sue Daniels said...

Have we considered wine-making?

Grace is doing just great, and we love the updates. Have you got a picture of her sitting under the arbor?

Love to all,
Grandma sue