Thursday, June 2, 2011

What Can You Do With $100.00?

If that question was asked to Matt and I, we might respond with "Make garage shelving!"

Because that is exactly what we did.

My sister needed some basement shelving.  She found a snake in her basement and it was suggested that they get the boxes and other items off of the floor.  So Matt decided to help build the shelving.  Matt had a plan for shelving like this in his mind for about a year and a half (ever since our garage shelving broke).  So he showed the plans to my sister's husband and off they went to build.  The shelving turned out wonderfully.

About two weekends later it was a rainy weekend at our house.  I knew we were going to be cooped up so I suggested that Matt start our shelving.  After a $60.00 trip to Lowes to get the starter lumber we were on our way.  Chiseling, sawing, and other dust producing activities ensued for the next many weekends.  However, we were finally able to put up section after section and slowly see our garage get cleaner and more organized.

True to our nature Matt and I were scavengers for this project.  A neighbor was replacing their wood railing for outdoor steps.  We got permission to take all the wood that we wanted from there.  Another neighbor was replacing their playhouse for the children.  More wood for us.   We used wood that was being saved for us at my parent's house.  And wood that we randomly already had in the shed.  Not all of the wood matches, but that does not bother me at all (most of the wood is being covered with stuff anyway!).

This past weekend Matt and I went to Lowes once again to get $40.00 of wood to finish off the project.  It is done now!  For $100.00 (and a lot of time and cleaning of reclaimed wood) we built five 7 foot high, 3 foot wide, and 2 feet deep sections of shelving that is adjustable and sturdy as can be.

I am so happy, I almost have my garage back!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great way to reuse good lumber. I can't believe they were put up so fast. Also, love the header!!!
Love Betty

Amy said...

Those shelves are wonderful. i hope Mike will build some more for our basement. I know you all worked hard on that project. It looks great!

Love the new header!!

Sue Daniels said...

Me too, guys. It looks otherworldly, somehow. And your garage is fantastic! Congratulations on a job well done.

Love,
sue