Friday, June 17, 2011

It Came From The Garden

Matt and I have been blessed with an early growing season in our garden...

At least for the squash and zucchini!

For the three years that I have had a garden at this house I have tried to grow squash and zucchini, but each year I have gotten NOTHING.  That is until this year.  I do not know if the change came because we started from plants (rather than seed), composted more, or because I newspapered early so that weeds would not get to the plants.  But whatever it was, we have been getting one or two squash/zucchini every day since Sunday.

We have been enjoying them, and Matt is experiencing the wonders of my creative culinary skills :)
So far we have enjoyed:  sauteed squash, stir fry, chocolate zucchini cake, and a zucchini casserole.
On the menu for the future:  More of the above, different casseroles (there are so many in the E. Shank Cookbook :), grilled squash and zucchini slices, and maybe crab cakes...and who knows what else will come to mind as I am in the garden gathering our bounty.

I am so happy!

(if anyone else has an idea for squash or zucchini, let me know.  It seems we will be eating one or two a day from now till the season is over for them.  But this is a great way to get our veggies :)

2 comments:

Amy said...

I like the summer squash casserole. I make that for the boys birthday partys (for me--I'm the only one that really likes it at my house. I don't think it's too much to ask that I make it 2 times a year!)

Sue Daniels said...

You can substitute zucchini for pumpkin in pumpkin bread. You can cook it, like you do the pumpkin, or you can chop it up raw and mix it in. If you do that, and include the skin, the bread comes out with an interesting purple twinge.

Oh, Lana: Happy Birthday!

Love,
sue