Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Last Anniversary Event

All I can say to this picture is...sometimes church potlucks can just wear a person out!

While growing up in Harrisonburg I always heard of and saw this fancy house on Main Street. It was "The Joshua Wilton House." It was known that it was a restaurant and a bed and breakfast. However, it was also known that it was very fancy and expensive...therefore I would probably never see the inside of that location. But as a child/young adult/adult it was nice to dream.

Beautiful, isn't it?

This past school year, my nephews were having a raffle to raise money for their school. So being the nice aunt that I am :) I bought a few tickets. I did not know what all of the prizes were, and I figured that I had little or no chance of winning. But as you can guess, my sister called me up and told me that I won one of the prizes. The prize was: a t-shirt, a gift certificate to a shop downtown, and a gift certificate to the Joshua Wilton House!

We decided to hold on to the gift certificate till our anniversary month and celebrate in style. So we arranged for childcare (mom, dad, Amy, and any of the family that was around at that time) dressed up, and headed out.

It was a nice summer day, so we took the offer to sit outside. We were set in the gazebo. It felt like a combination between being in the gazebo scene of The Sound Of Music and being a princess.

We started our dinner at 6:00 pm with our first course. Matt had Quail stuffed with sausage.

I had a cheese plate with pears and plums.

The meal continued with each of us getting the Joshua Wilton salad.

For the main course Matt had Duck with green beans (yes, he was feeling very fowl that day!)
I had Sea Scallops with Macaroni and Cheese.
As you can see below, the the lack of the meal on the plate indicates that it was very tasty.
Finally around 8:00 pm we finished up our meal with some Creme Brulee. Before bringing out our dessert the waiter had asked if we were celebrating anything. So that is how he knew to write Happy Anniversary at the top of our plate.

Wonderful meal, wonderful service, wonderful location, wonderful company.

Finally we paid. The waiter came and gave us the bill. It was more than our gift certificate but we had brought enough cash along to pay for the meal. So we put all of the necessary bills and the gift certificate in the payment book. The waiter came by and picked it up and said "I will be right back" I guess he was assuming that it was a credit card purchase that we would need to sign for. We quickly replied "Nope, it is all yours." He took a couple steps away from our table, then I think that it dawned on him what we said. He opened up the payment book, his mouth dropped, and he glanced back at us. I guess that he does not have too many people paying in cash at a location like this.

We called home and Grace was doing well so we decided to finish off the evening with a stroll downtown. To our surprise it was "Friday's on the Square." Each Friday they have a live band playing on the court square lawn during the summer. So we stayed and listened to some big band music, then went on our way.

It was such a nice date. Such a nice way to top off the celebrations of two years with a wonderful man.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt:
You did not eat your vegetables!

Clean up your plate!!!

:) Dad

Amy said...

If Mike and I start saving now, we just may be able to afford to go there by the time we are 80!

Unknown said...

I went to JW House once when we lived in Harrisonburg...and it was free! It was actually when I worked with Carol on 6East but I can't remember if she was there or not...I think so. Some drug rep came and took all of us nurses out. I remember the salad and the pumpkin soup was really good but the best part was the cheesecake. And you want to know a secret?! I have a friend that works at Sysco who said that they buy their cheesecake from them frozen! Ha ha!