Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Busy

Tell you what...GE is keeping Matt and I hopping!

Christmas at GE is a busy time.

On Saturday we got up early and went to a warehouse in Salem to do "food" "baskets." All of the quotations are because more than food was put into them, and they were not baskets, they were large boxes. It was fun, and here is a bit more of an explanation of it. There is a long assembly line, each person or "stop" has to put an item in the box. The bottom of the box was filled with bags of flour, sugar, and canned goods. Then noodles, spices, bread, and produce went on top. Matt and I were in charge of the Olay body spray and the toy train engine that was also to be included. It was a wonderful way to spend 2-3 hours of a Saturday morning. I hear that next year we should sign up to deliver some of these 90 lb boxes and see where and who they are going to.

On Monday we had the GE Christmas party. This party or dinner was in the Hotel Roanoke. The food was wonderful and the company was good. We stayed for quite awhile just chatting with the people at our table (which we did not know very well before we sat down). Before leaving for the dinner I mentioned to Matt that I remember going to this thing last year. I was thinking...wow, this guy really must be serious about me to want to introduce me to all of the people that he works with...and now we are married! That still amazes me :)

Monday night after we left the party we quickly drove to Walmart to buy some gifts for a four year old boy that was part of a family that GE decided to provide Christmas gifts for. I am glad that I had Matt with me, because we were to buy action figures for this boy....I would have been fairly clueless.

Tonight (Tuesday) Matt came home and soon we were off once again. This time we went to the Salvation Army Warehouse and we helped many other GE staff and family to build little red wagons and trikes for the Salvation Army to hand out as they wish. These wagons and trikes were so cool. They all had all-terrain, air-filled wheels, and the trike had a little hitch. Certainly not the wagon or trike I grew up with. Matt, another man, and I built five trikes and fixed two wagons. It was quite fun, but over too quickly. All of the volunteers had finished all of the building in about 1- 1 1/2 hours.

It is great to see a company give back to the community as this. I look forward to, when we have children, continuing to do these charity events to have one way of reminding them that not everyone has as much as we do.

No comments: