Sunday, April 28, 2013

Crazy Idea

Sometimes I have some crazy ideas.  I am glad that Matt is there to balance me out and either talk some sense with me, help me see a different side of things, or to run with my crazy idea no matter how crazy. 

This is one case that I am so glad that Matt is right there with me in running with this crazy idea.

We had three very large, over grown, and to be honest...not very pretty bushes in our backyard.  We knew that we wanted to take them out as soon as we moved into the house.  It wasn't till this winter that we got them down.  But in the meantime they left a very large dirt area where grass would not grow beneath the bushes.  Matt wanted to know what we should plant or seed in that area.  I told him NOTHING!  I stated my desire to leave it as a dirt patch to let the kids play, dig, and get dirty in an area that is not my garden and that I do not care about.
 Every night this week I have been in the yard either working or just sitting with the kids watching them play in the dirt pile.  Grace loves to bury her feet with the dirt that she digs up with her shovel.  Glen likes to pick up the dirt and put it on top of his head.  I am ok with that!  Yes, they always need baths afterwards, but they have so much fun and they are so tired afterward because they have worked/played so hard.
 Thank you Matt for running with this crazy idea.  I am so glad that our kids will have an area of their own to explore, learn, dig, and just get messy in.

5 comments:

Davene Grace said...

I think that's a fantastic idea!! Yesterday I was digging some lilies out of a flowerbed to transplant them to my parents' flowerbed; and once I got the lilies out, Tobin and Shav had so much fun digging in the dirt/finding worms/etc. Aren't the simple pleasures the best?? ;-) (And thank God for indoor plumbing and bathtubs, right??) ;-)

Anonymous said...

Either you have to give the kids their own pile of dirt or they will want your pile and Matt's pile. Logical.

Messy, but logical.

Steve

Amy said...

Dirt spots are the BEST!! We had one for the boys to dig in until we moved. Now they still find dirt, I'm just not sure exactly where... My garden is the spot for off season--not sure where during the time that things are planted.

Sue Daniels said...

When summer comes, who needs indoor plumbing? You can just hose them off.

Fun times!

Darlene said...

That's awesome, Lana:) Now you need to bury some treasure for them to find! Toy dinosaurs, large toy gold coins, brightly painted rocks!