Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Playroom

When we saw this house for the first time, I fell in love with it in general.  However, what sent me over the edge was this room.  It is a sunk in room that is right off of the kitchen and also beside the laundry room.  So I can do laundry, cook, wash dishes, or anything of that type of stuff and also watch the kids in their room.

I call it the kids wonderland.  It has almost everything that they could want to keep entertained with.  Here is a short tour of one room of our house.

This is the kitchen area.  Yes that is a drill on the table.  No it is not usually there.  I just forgot to take it off of the table after I finished hanging the book shelves.  I guess I should call it the housekeeping area since it has the strollers, car seats, and other home items.

Random toy area.  Farm items, trucks, dinosaurs, puzzles, blocks, and baskets of many other toys that were lucky enough to find a spot on the shelves.

Grace's writing table, the sofa for adults to sit on and watch the kids or read books to them, and Grace's reading castle.  There is a book area in the castle that holds about 10-12 books that she looks at on her own.

The reading wall.  Two ten foot plastic rain gutters hung in the center of a very long wall.  The lower shelf is books that Grace can reach and take off and put back on by herself.  The upper shelf is for the books that I would like to keep nicer and requires an adult to take the book down, read it to the child then return it.  Lots of pillows and soft things to enjoy as we read the books.

The costume area.  We have dress up hats, two fireman costumes, and a cowboy costume hanging there.  Grace on a regular basis takes the hat and pants from the fireman costume and wears them around.  Yes, even during this heat wave.

Enjoying her castle.

Peek-a-boo

The newest addition to the playroom is an item that was given to us by her uncle Mike.  It is a wooden block that has five real screws in it.  The screws are both flat and Phillips head.  Attached to the edge of the box is a real flat screw driver and a real Phillips screw driver.  It did not take her long to get the understanding and coordination to be able to screw and unscrew them over and over and over.


My goal is to make this room a place where the kids can play, have fun, explore, discover, and enjoy learning.  I think that this is a good start.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how you have organized this room. Very nice Lana. I see the teacher coming out in here. Love Mamaw

Sue Daniels said...

This room is fabulous! There's lots of stuff to play with, and plenty of room to play with it in. So pleased to see my old table and chairs being used again, and the reading castle is so cool! Where did you find that? I like that the windows are low enough to the floor so Grace can see out, too. The reading wall was inspired. Great job. By the way, I think the drill should stay. Grace needs to learn the empowerment of power tools at an early age.

Grandma Sue