Friday, March 23, 2012

A Tradition In The Making (I Hope)

When I was growing up we could almost always count on two things to eat during the week.  Sunday mornings we had donuts (from the store) and Saturday nights we would have homemade pizza.  I remember raving about my mom's homemade pizza and was quite surprised when people talked about how good the chain (delivery) pizzas were because my mom made such better than that!

Now that Grace is getting a bit older I wanted to try to start a tradition like that with her.  So we shall see how this goes.  I decided that it might be nice to have Thursday pizza night (since our weekends are so unpredictable).

On Thursday I started around 2:00, soon after Grace finished lunch, and we made the dough for the pizza.  Grace helped me measure things out and dump things in, and stir it all around.  Later she helped me kneed the dough, I pulled off a little ball for her to punch down and kneed.  Then I raided her play kitchen for some plastic knives and a rolling pin.  I let her roll out her little ball while I rolled out the large portion for our pizza.  I gave her a few slices of ham to "cut" with her non-serrated play knife while I chopped up the rest.  She helped me sprinkle on the mushrooms and the cheese, then happily when back to playing with her "play-dough").

I had the pizza assembled and ready and Grace happily played with her dough for about a half an hour longer.
The pizza turned out really well and it was a great one-on-one time with Grace and I.  Each time she does this with me she might be able to help a bit more.

Yeah, I think that this could be a good tradition (if I keep it up.)

1 comment:

Sue Daniels said...

It's not delivery, it's DeLana!!